Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Heaven Is For Real

Last week, I read a book that has forever changed the way I look at heaven. Heaven Is For Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent (Thomas Nelson, 2010) is the story of Colton Burpo's trip to heaven and back. Colton was three years old when he survived an emergency appendectomy. In the years following his miraculous survival, he told his parents about his trip to heaven.



If you've been following this blog for very long, you know we've miscarried two babies in the past year-one at twelve weeks and another at around eight weeks. In the months following our miscarriages, I struggled quite a bit. Even though I believed my babies were in heaven, I guess I still wondered about them. To be honest, I didn't really trust God to watch after them for me.

That all changed when I read this book. Colton met his sister (whom his parents lost through a miscarriage) in heaven. I guess I should add that Colton's parents never once told him about their miscarriage. Colton surprised his mom one day by asking about his other sister. Then he said these beautiful words: "It's okay, Mommy. . . She's okay. God adopted her" (95).

When I read these words, it was as if Colton was speaking right to me. My babies are okay; God adopted them too. I always believed they were in heaven. But now I know.

Thank you, Todd and Sonja Burpo, for sharing Colton's story. It has changed my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment