Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Living in Fear

The last few weeks have been difficult for me. We heard our baby's heartbeat at the ultrasound a few weeks ago, so I want to be excited. I think people assume I should be excited now. After all, the chances of a miscarriage after seeing a heartbeat go way down. Nonetheless, I've still been living in fear. I think I'm just waiting for the bottom to drop out. I'm waiting for the call from the doctor, the bad test result, or the bleeding to begin.


Even though I think it makes sense for me to be nervous, God has been teaching me these last few weeks that it's wrong for me to live in fear. I can't do anything to prevent a miscarriage. If something is going to go wrong, I can't stop it. So why ruin the time I have by fretting? Why steal all the joy from today by worrying about tomorrow? Why try to control something I can't control?

Jesus once asked his followers, "Can any of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" (Matthew 6: 27). As much as I wish worry could guarantee a good ultrasound tomorrow, it can't. So this week, I'm going to try not to worry. I'm going to try to stop living in fear. Want to join with me?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Lindsey. I met you through your guest post on Mary DeMuth's blog today. I get this, Lindsey. Not to the extent you have experienced, but I get this. And I get this living in fear... and recently realized this truth, too. I live in fear easily... way too easily. But God is showing me this same thing. There is literally nothing I can do to prevent a miscarriage. So I need to just lean on Him, hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right. Learning to let go and trust is such a hard thing to do-something I struggle with every single day.

    ReplyDelete